Frequently asked questions
HOW DO I PAY FOR THE NEW PERMIT?
After passing the driving test, apply at the appropriate U.R.A licensing office for a full driving license. This is issued for one year or three years and is renewable for similar further periods on expiry.
YOU WILL NEED TO VISIT THE UGANDA REVENUE AUTHORITY WEBSITE AT HTTP://URA.GO.UG.
- Scroll down and locate the Payment Registration link.
- Select option NTR and under Tax head, scroll down and choose Full Exchange D/P.
- Continue filling all parts especially those with a red star as they are mandatory, click accept and register and then on the next page, click print.
- Go to the bank you choose as your payment bank and enact your payment.
- Go to any URA branch; pick the Drivers license application forms (Form A – Make sure to check box with Driving Permit Exchange and Form B – Medical form).
- Fill in the form A and take form B to the nearest eye care clinic or hospital for thorough checking on especially the eyes.
- Take back the filled forms together with your bank payment receipt and drop them to the URA branch of your choice.
- Go to Kyambogo Face Technologies, the official Driving permit processing center after the period as recommended by the URA staff.
- You will be given a Temporary (Paper) driving license which will be valid for one month after which you will take it back so as to get the Real Drivers License.HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO HAVE MY EXISTING DRIVER’S PERMIT ?
- After paying at Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) for a learners’ license and test fees. You then make payment at Face Technologies where your biometrics are taken and you are issued a learners’ license.
- You take this to the Inspectorate of Vehicles (IOV) for a driving test.
- When you pass the test, you are informed. Likewise when you fail, you are told. For the successful learner, the Inspectorate of Vehicles sends your results documents to URA in three days.
- At the lapse of the three days you go back to URA and pay for a full license.
- Three or five days later, you go to Face Technologies and make payment and you are issued a temporary drivers’ permit which is valid for one month.
- A week later, you can pick your new permit licenseWHY IS IT THAT SOMETIMES AT RENEWAL A PERSON’S, ALL CLASSES EXCEPT “B” ARE CANCELLED?
Under Section 42 (4) of the Traffic and Road safety Act, 1998 a permit shall lapse where it has not been renewed for five years from the date of issue. The applicant is however eligible to apply for a learner’s permit under Section 39. Therefore, applicants who do not renew their permits within five years from the date of issue or renewal automatically lose their classes in accordance with the Act.THE PERMIT ACQUISITION PROCESS IS TOO LONG. IS THERE ANY OTHER EASIER WAY OF ACQUIRING A PERMIT?
This statement is not true.
The process for acquiring a driving permit has been streamlined to eliminate brokers who have in the past been overcharging applicants and making the process appear longer to justify their charges.
The number of offices has been increased and backed with mobile stations to bring services closer to the people. Application forms may be picked from any of the Face Technologies Offices in Kampala, Mbarara, Fort Portal, Jinja, Mbale, Gulu and Arua or downloaded from here (insert link to the form), www.works.go.ug or https://www.ura.go.ug/leftMenu.do.
Effective 1st July 2018, a driving permit is produced within 60 minutes at the Kampala office and in 48 hours for the upcountry offices from the time of submission of documents at Face Technologies.